Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Best Day Ever at the Vans Triple Crown

Thanksgiving turkeys and cold weather are descending on the mainland, but here in Hawaii surfers are flocking to the famous North Shore for the Vans Triple Crown. The event works its way through three separate contests and ramps up to an exciting finish at one of the world's best, heaviest tubes: Pipeline. 

First up on the Vans Triple Crown circuit is Haleiwa, right in the town of Haleiwa. The wave is popular on small days with surfers of all levels. But in winter, watch out! It pumps, and big swells turn it heavy and challenging.

On my first morning off, I headed up to check it out. The women's contest was in full session, the weather was amazingly beautiful, and I was stoked to visit Scotty, Mark Morgan and Lyrl Hailstock, who are all on the film crew.

Mark Morgan & Scotty Lisetor with the camera jib arm.
I guess being in the industry has its advantages! I got to climb a camera scaffold tower and look through the lens. I could hardly believe how powerful the zoom was--I could see the looks on the competitors' faces, all the way out at sea.


me with Lyrl Hailstock up on a camera tower

I also got to drop in on the video trailer, which is a big tractor truck full of people and flashing equipment. It looked as if they were about to launch the space shuttle or something.

Entrance to the flashing video village land

Outside, Vans had a tent with free swag that included stickers, programs, Vans frisbees, and all sorts of other things. Rockstar Energy Drinks, another sponsor, was giving away free cans of their drinks, including new flavors like lemonade and cola. A third tent had hats, shirts and hoodies for sale, and Scott got me a super cute Triple Crown hoodie. Yay!


Best of all, the women surfed really well, and it was exciting to watch. 

To make a virtual visit, check it out here:

Now I must head to the grocery store in search of a turkey and some cranberries. Happy Thanksgiving and best wishes to all of you :D

No comments:

Post a Comment