Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why I've Been "Off the Map"!

Hello all! Whew, it's been ages since I've posted, but I have an excuse. (although I've thought about blogging literally every day, somehow I just never made it happen. How do multi-taskers do it all???) I've been off the map for three months. What I mean is--I've been working on a new TV show from the makers of Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice, called Off the Map. It's exciting, because I think it's going to be really good!!

We started in September. The first day on a new set always reminds me of the first day of summer camp. You're milling around between the hundred or so people, wondering who's going to be there that you know, searching for friends and familiar faces, trying to see what the new people are like, checking out the people in charge, and hoping like crazy that the food will be good. Slowly, after a few weeks, everyone finds their places, learns names, and this whole social world develops.

We've all been cloistered away up in a rainy, jungly (is jungly a word? I don't know but I'm going with it) valley in Hawaii. We eat breakfast, lunch, and even sometimes dinner together in a big tent. It's like we're off in a land that's totally remote from our normal lives. Or maybe it just feels that way because work days run 12-14 hours and I tend to get a little fuzzy at that point . . . ! And I'm super happy to say we're now like one big family. The food is pretty good too :)

What's the show about? Off the Map features a bunch of doctors who run a clinic in the South American jungle. We have people getting attacked by anacondas, strange diseases, and lots of romance. It's fun, and surprisingly funny. We've shot 8 of the 12 scheduled episodes so far.
The show will air on ABC some time in January. On Friday and yesterday we got to watch two of the episodes during lunch. It was awesome! Jammed in our lunch tent we were hooting, laughing, and there were even some tears.

In the meantime, I've been huddled down every moment I can get to work on my new novel. Watching drama play out live is inspiring, and helping fuel my own creative energies. It's a great combination!

Sending you all best wishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment